The San Clemente Church
The private San Clemente Church is ideal for exclusive weddings, blessings and vow renewals as it is still consecrated. Adjacent to the hotel. It is one of the city’s most interesting cathedrals with its past tightly woven with the great families of Venice who were its patrons. The San Clemente Island had long been used to house pilgrims when in 1432 it was given to the canons of the Santa Maria della Carità monastery in Venice.
The Church has been restored with artistic works that served as evidence of the island’s glorious history. Dedicated to a Pope who was lost at sea and very dear to the Venetians’ hearts, the original structure was built in the Romanesque style with a single cross nave, but was enlarged and embellished in the late 15th Century with artistic works that can still be enjoyed today.